Sunday, January 18, 2015

Sick Babies

The week of Dec. 15th (the week I was supposed to be preparing for a long road trip with my little ones, yeah that week) I visited the pediatrician's office THREE times...THREE times!
 
Addison had been running a fever for most of the weekend with really no other symptoms until Sunday evening when she started to get congested.  So first thing Monday morning (while she was still sleeping) I made a doctor's appointment for her. Sure enough when she woke up she was clearly feeling better but with the big trip to Michigan planned for the end of the week, I wanted to make sure we didn't have any lingering sickies...so off we went.  The doctor said she seemed to have "flu-like" symptoms or maybe even a mild case of the flu but since she didn't have a fever anymore and her symptoms had started several days prior, she couldn't do anything.  By Monday evening, Addison was her old self again!  I planned on her going to MMO on Tuesday but I think she tricked me into letting her stay home.  She just wanted to watch TV I think and told me she still didn't feel good.
 
 
Thursday, December 18th we were at the pediatrician's office again but this time it was for a well-child appointment.  Asher seemed to have a slight cough but the doctor said his lungs sounded good so she went ahead and gave him all his vaccines.  As the day progressed Thursday, Asher seemed to be feeling the effects of the shots.  I didn't remember until John reminded me but his 2 month vaccines hit him hard too.  So we gave him Tylenol and hoped for the best.  But then the cough started getting worse and his nose started running...and now we had a sick baby, who was also feeling the side effects of vaccines.  Nothing is worse then a sick little baby. 
 
Runny nose...poor baby!
Friday morning, after several bad feedings and poor sleeping I almost lost it...or maybe I did.  I text John and said I thought we should pull the plug on our trip to Michigan.  Mind you, I had NOT.ONE.THING. packed for our family of four to travel for a week, Asher didn't want to put him down and Addison was running around the house in PJs and "packing" all her toys to take to Mimi's.  Oh and we still had to celebrate Arkansas Christmas with John's Dad and Brother and the Remars Friday night and Saturday morning. 
 
So back to the pediatrician's office we went Friday afternoon.  The verdict and I'm quoting the doctor "the bark is worse than the bite" -- not what I was expecting to hear!  Asher's lungs were fine, his oxygen was 100% but his cough was croup-ish.  Since he had just gotten vaccines the doctor didn't want to give him steroids for the cough.  His one ear was 'pink' so we did get an RX for that and were sent home to use the humidifier and suction bulb. 
 
Lots of cuddles with my sick boy! Not the worst thing...I'm just saying!?
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Nothing is worse than having your children become sick all of the sudden, especially when you’re bound to travel in a few days. I can only imagine how you juggled everything then, all the while worrying about your little ones' health. Anyway, I do hope you still had a fun trip amidst all that mishaps. Take care!

    Logan Rojas @ Focus On Kids Pediatrics

    ReplyDelete